Dewsbury Rams were knocked out of the fifth round of the Challenge Cup by North East side Newcastle Thunder.

The loss brings to an end a good start to the season for the Rams where they managed to get four wins on the bounce.

The game up at Newcastle started off badly for the away side when Kieran Gill scored a try in the 6th minute, Reece Dean was on kicking duty for Thunder and missed his first conversion making it 4-0.

Thunder scored again two minutes later when QLT got the better of the Rams defence to score. Dean this time converted his kick to make the tally 10-0 to Newcastle.

It was becoming a fast paced first half with the game being end to end, this time it was Dewsbury who managed to grab a try, with Paul Sykes putting through Michael Knowles to cross the whitewash. Sykes then converted the kick to add the extra’s putting the tally at 10-6 to Thunder.

Just as Dewsbury were getting back into the game Thunder went on to score another try on the 20th minute, this time Ashley Gibson getting off the mark for the day. Again Dean missed his conversion making the score 14-6 to Newcastle.

The Rams stole a try back on the 24th minute as Knowles put in Sykes this time to return the favour. Sykes again converting the kick to put the score at 14-12 to Newcastle.

However just like before where the Rams thought they were back in it, they then weren’t as Newcastle scored another try on the 29th minute. This time Bob Beswick showing an experienced head to help get the ball over the line. Dean this time converted his kick putting the score at 20-12 to Thunder.

The Rams weren’t giving up as Connor Scott went on to celebrate his third try in a week by bulldozing his way through the Thunder defence to get the ball down. Sykes again was cool with the kick to score the extra’s as the teams went into the break with the score Newcastle Thunder 20-18 Dewsbury Rams.

The second half started a lot more calmer than what the first half did, both sides tightening up defence’s. However it was Thunder who unlocked the next real big try scoring chance on the 58th minute as Adam Lawton went through to place the ball over the line. Dean converted his kick to put the tally at 26-18 to Newcastle.

Michael Wood scored another try for the home side on the 63rd minute meaning the North East side managed to pull ahead further. Dean this time missed his conversion kick to put the score at Newcastle 30-18 Dewsbury.

The Rams then started the fight back, Martyn Reilly scored on the 68th minute as he flopped over the line for a great try. Sykes again converted for the two points.

Then three minutes later Will Oakes managed to squeeze through a gap in the Thunder defence to score. Sykes again converted to put the sides level with only seven minutes of the game remaining.

Unfortunately Dewsbury then made some bad errors giving the home side the chance to re-take the lead and that’s exactly what they did when Alex Clegg went through. Dean converted his kick to put the extra’s on the board to take it to 36-30.

By this time the Rams knew they had lost the game and Newcastle won a penalty, Dean converted it to add insult to injury and left the final score as Newcastle 38-30 Dewsbuy.