Dewsbury Rams ground out an impressive 22-16 victory over Whitehaven in horrendous conditions up in Cumbria to go through to the fifth round of the Challenge Cup.

The West Yorkshire club did it tough in mud-bath conditions that affected a free flowing game.

The match started off in a scrappy affair as both sides quickly became caked in mud.

Liam Finn thought he’d scored an early try for the Rams on the 3rd minute but not to be.

It was the home side who managed to get over the line first in the 11th minute. Sam Forrester finding a gap in the Rams defence and sliding through. Jake Moore kicked through the sticks to add the extras, putting Whitehaven 6-0 up.

Dewsbury then had various attacks but were held up multiple times. Eventually the Rams cracked the Cumbrian wall as Dom Speakman crashed over from close range for his first try of the night. Liam Finn converted for two points drawing the sides level.

They were nearly two tries to the good the visitors not long after as Martyn Reilly drove towards the line only to be held up.

Then on the 30th minute mark Speakman again found a hole and decided to squeeze through it to score. Finn again converting to put the Rams 12-6 up.

The scoring wasn’t finished there though as Whitehaven had one last say before the break. Andrew Bulman finished off a simple Haven move near the posts. Holliday this time kicked the conversion to once again draw the sides level.

The second period started well for the Rams as Finn kicked a penalty to put the Rams back in the lead.

On the 47th minute though the Rams defence was once again penetrated by the Whitehaven attack. Jason Mossop the man to go through and score this time. Holliday missed his conversion kick to leave the score Whitehaven 16-14 Dewsbury.

For the next fifteen minutes the Rams were under constant pressure and mostly on their own line. Some of the tackles were outstanding as the rain got heavier and the mud got thicker under foot.

Finally Tommy Brierley managed to drive the Rams up field and win a penalty with which Finn converted drawing the sides level again.

On the 72nd minute Connor Scott scored the winning try by smashing his way through a tired looking Whitehaven team to score. Finn converted the extras.

Although the Rams had a few more attacks in the dying moments, no more points were scored and the game finished 22-16 to Dewsbury.

Next up the Rams play Newcastle away in the fifth round of the Challenge Cup on Sunday..