Dewsbury Rams picked up a vital point in their bid to survive in the Betfred Championship, they drew 28-28 against Halifax on Sunday afternoon.

That point against Halifax means it puts pressure back on the other teams around Dewsbury in the league table.

Dewsbury go close on two occasions to get the first try, however it was the visitors who grabbed the first points of the afternoon. James Saltonstall scored the first four points of the day as he crossed the whitewash in the corner. Ben Johnston kicked the ball to the corner, Rob Worrincy was unable to catch it and Saltonstall stole in to score the try. Steve Tyrer was the one on kicking duty for Halifax, he duly put his first kick through the posts to make the score 6-0 to Halifax on the 25th minute.

Six minutes later the Rams drew level as Sam Day weaved his way through a gap in the Halifax defence to score a super try. Paul Sykes was converting the kicks for the Rams and he made his first attempt a successful one. The tally now stood at Dewsbury Rams 6-6 Halifax.

It only took the visitors three minutes to get back in front, Quentin Laulu-Togagae found a gap in the Rams defence and exploited it as he planted the ball over the line to score. Tyrer was once again tidy with the kick and made the score 6-12 to Halifax.

The Rams managed to score two more points before the break, as Paul Sykes converted a penalty kick to take the tally into the interval at 8-12.

Halifax extended their lead on the 48th minute when Togagae scored his second try of the game, Tyrer once again converted the kick for the two extra points that left the score at 8-18 to Halifax.

Four minutes later the Rams got a try of their own when Adam Ryder scored in the left hand corner after taking a pass from Day. Sykes missed his conversion to take the score to 12-18 to Halifax.

On the 55th minute Kevin Larroyer scored for Halifax to extend their lead again, Tyrer again converted the kick. The Rams now had 12 points to make up and the fight back started on the 65th minute when Andy Gabriel ran home with a try, Sykes couldn’t convert his kick meaning the score now stood at Dewsbury Rams 16-24 Halifax.

The fight back was halted momentarily when Halifax’s Jacob Fairbank scored on the 70th minute mark, Tyrer this time missed his kick meaning they finished their scoring at 18-28.

The Rams now carried on the fight back, Worrincy scored a full length field try to get the Rams back with in a chance of drawing the game. Sykes converted the kick meaning the score now stood at 22-28 to Halifax.

Worrincy and the Rams were not done their yet, and the experienced winger managed to get a hold of a ball from a Sykes kick to then plant over the line in the right corner. Sykes again converted the extra’s to make the scores all level.

Sykes tired to go for a drop goal in the dying seconds of the game, however his kick whilst on target fell just short of the posts.

The final score ended with a 28-28 draw, and next week the Rams head to Rochdale for another crucial Betfred Championship fixture.