Dewsbury Rams have made it through to the next round of the 1895 Cup competition and are now only two games away from Wembley after beating Swinton on Sunday.

The Rams won 44-26 in the end and scored some superb tries in the process of the afternoon.

Dewsbury started the game the better and were ahead after the 3rd minute when Lucas Walsahw smashed his way through the Swinton defence to score the first try of the day. Liam Finn was on kicking duty and duly put the first kick through the posts to take the Rams into a 6-0 lead.

Swinton hit back just four minutes later with a try of their own, Liam Byrne sliding over the whitewash to score, Harry Smith was on kicking duty for the Lions and he successfully converted his first kick to draw the visitors level.

The home side went back in front on the 18th minute when Rob Worrincy collected a brilliant offload from Joe Martin in the corner to score a super try. Finn converted his kick and the Rams went 12-6 in front.

Dewsbury extended their lead just five minutes later when Sam Day squeezed over the line from close range. Adam Ryder teased the Swinton defence with a twisting and turning run earlier in the move that really gave Day the chance to execute the try. Finn again converted the kick to score the extras, putting the Rams 18-6 up.

Whilst the Rams were dominant throughout the half it was Swinton who had the last say as they scored two minutes before the interval. Rhodri Lloyd grabbed a try for the visitors, Harry Smith then missed his kick to take the score into half time Dewsbury Rams 18-10 Swinton Lions.

It was the Lions who came out the better in the second half, and they scored in the first minute after the break. Jack Hansen planted the ball over the whitewash to try and get the visitors back into the game, Smith this time converted his kick to make the score 18-16 to the Rams.

Sam Day then scored his second try of the match, very much like his first just five minutes into the second half and four minutes after the Lions scored their try. Day again went over from close range, Finn added the extras by kicking the two points meaning the score now stood at 24-16 to Dewsbury.

In what was becoming a crazy first twelve minutes of the second half, the Lions scored another try, this time Billy Brickhill going over the line to score. Smith again missed his kick. Just four minutes later the Rams extended their lead again when Toby Richardson crossed the line for a superb try on the 52nd minute. Richardson bulldozed his way over the line to score an important try for the Rams. Finn missed his conversion attempt meaning the score now stood at Dewsbury Rams 28-20 Swinton Lions.

Dewsbury’s Kyle Trout dived over the line in the 60th minute to score one of the tries of the match, Finn converted the kick to move the Rams on to 34-20 in the tally.

Three more tries were scored in the last twelve minutes of the game, first Lewis Heckford span around on the line to flop over the whitewash in the 68th minute to score a terrific try. Finn missed his conversion kick. The Lions then hit back with a try of their own scored by Jack Wells, Smith did convert his kick this time, that left the score at 38-26 to the Rams.

It was Dewsbury who would have the final say, when Dale Morton broke away from the Swinton defence, he was supported by Rob Worrincy. Morton passed the ball to Worrincy who finished the move off in style under the posts. Finn kicked the final conversion of the match and the Rams were victorious winning 44-26.

The win means the Rams now go into the next round of the competition with the draw being on Friday.