Despite a spirited defensive performance for large periods, quickfire tries at the start and end of the second half ensured a second Easter defeat for Dewsbury Rams.

Simon Brown and Kyle Trout crossed for the Rams, and Liam Finn kicked two goals, but a strong second half from the home side extinguished the Rams’ hopes of a win on the road.

A high kick from Martyn Ridyard in the early stages of the game was allowed to bounce, but the ball fell favourably for Rams’ Daniel Igbinedion.

And there was a short stoppage as Andy Gabriel and Gregg McNally received treatment following a head clash.

McNally was helped from the field and didn’t return.

Moments later, another high kick, this time from Josh Woods, had the Rams scrambling in windy conditions.

Leigh continued to mount pressure and in the eighth minute they hit the front.

A poor kick on the last handed the hosts possession is a good position and on the third tackle Iain Thornley dummied his way over the line.

Woods missed the conversion.

A handling error under a third high kick handed the hosts another opportunity, but Dewsbury escaped after their opponents were penalised for obstruction.

A good kick on the last tackle from Brown relieved pressure on the Rams line, but a penalty for holding down put Leigh back on the front foot.

But the hosts were wasteful in possession and the Rams remained in touch at 4-0 during the opening quarter.

The Rams had their first opportunity after Leigh were penalised for an incorrect play the ball, but the wind sent an ambitious pass wayward and possession was lost.

Leigh doubled their lead moments later when Woods sent James Bentley through a gap from close range, after Dewsbury had been pinged for a ball steal.

Woods was again unable to convert.

Another error close to the Dewsbury line kept the momentum with Leigh, but a knock on let the visitors off the hook.

Back to back penalties gave the hosts a chance to get off the mark, but an overcooked play on the second tackle put paid to the Rams’ hopes of a score.

However, a well weighted Finn grubber kick was latched on to by Brown in the 33rd minute to get Dewsbury off the mark.

Finn’s goal made it 8-6.

Dewsbury grew in confidence after the score, while the hosts became more frustrated.

Rams had the chance to take the lead just before half time following a penalty at the scrum, but they took the wrong option on the final play and the opportunity was missed.

Leigh made a fast start to the second half and extended their lead five minutes after the restart.

Matty Costello went close, before Thornley crashed onto a short ball for his second try of the afternoon.

Ridyard converted to make it 14-6 and Costello crossed moments later as the Centurions’ fast start to the second half continued.

The conversion was missed and the Rams had their first attack of the half from the restart, but another wayward pass handed possession back to their hosts.

And again the Centurions were clinical.

Woods’ grubber was collected by Jonny Pownall and he showed great awareness to find a quick pass inside that sent Bentley racing over the line.

Woods’ goal made it 24-6 and the visitors were left with a mountain to climb in the final half hour.

But the Rams forced an error at the restart and Trout powered over from short range.

Finn’s goal narrowed the deficit to 12 and gave Greenwood’s side a glimmer.

Tensions boiled over following a big collision close to the Rams line and Leigh won the penalty, but the Dewsbury defence stood firm.

The pressure continued following a knock on at the play the ball, and Bentley crossed for Leigh, but play was brought back for a forward pass.

There was a stoppage shortly after for Pownall, who was helped off with an ankle injury, before Michael Knowles was sin binned for dissent.

The Rams continued to absorb pressure, but they struggled to find the attacking platform they needed to get back into the game.

Trout was held up over the line in the closing stages as the Rams rallied, but a knock on saw the chance go begging.

Instead, Leigh broke from the error and three plays later Bentley wasn’t to be denied, as he coasted over for a hat-trick score.

Ridyard’s goal made it 30-12 and the hosts piled on further misery when Thornley burst through some tiring defenders to seal his own hat-trick.

Josh Eaves was wide with the kick, but Leigh were convincing winners to cap a tough Easter weekend for the Rams.