Halifax 26 Dewsbury Rams 0

Dewsbury Rams suffered a third defeat of the season in torrid conditions away at Halifax.

The match went ahead despite heavy rainfall throughout the weekend and the hosts managed the conditions far better on the day.

Adam Ryder was a stand-out performer for Lee Greenwood’s side, but highlights beyond that were few and far between for the visitors.

The Rams won a penalty from the kick off, but the ball was spilled later in the set, and instead ‘Fax enjoyed early pressure.

Unsurprisingly, the contest was littered with handling errors and it was the hosts that remained on the front foot for the majority of the first quarter.

And ‘Fax went in front when Ed Barber hit a short ball and went through a gap to race 30 metres. Steve Tyrer’s goal made it 6-0.

But Paul Sykes forced an error with a superb restart and it was Dewsbury’s turn to apply the pressure.

Finn’s grubber forced a drop-out and the Rams then won a penalty, but a dumb play on the first tackle handed possession back to the hosts.

Moments later, ‘Fax were able to add to their lead through a penalty goal in front of the posts, making it 8-0 with 18 minutes of the first half remaining.

The Rams enjoyed further pressure in the minutes that followed but struggled to make their final balls stick.

Barber was sin-binned for Halifax following an incident at the play the ball in the closing stages of the first half, but again Dewsbury were unable to turn their pressure into points.

Instead, Halifax struck with a second try as the half-time hooter sounded.

The ball was worked left on the last tackle and poor numbering allowed former Ram Shaun Robinson to slide over in the corner.

Tyrer added the goal to make it 14-0 at the break.

There was a stoppage at the start of the second half as Owen Trout received treatment, but he was deemed fit to continue.

And though the Rams started the second period in positive fashion, they remained unable to make a mark on the scoreboard during the opening exchanges.

Instead, Halifax added to their lead when Barber twisted his way through a weak Dewsbury effort to ground under posts.

Tyrer’s goal made it 20-0 and though Dewsbury continued to ask questions, they struggled to find the play to unlock an alert home defence.

And slack ball retention and poor decision-making on the fourth and fifth plays saw opportunities to gain a foothold into the game pass.

As the game entered the final 20 minutes, it was the hosts that appeared the more likely to score, forcing several repeat sets and keeping their visitors at bay.

And they did just that through Barber, who completed a hat-trick when he sold a dummy and plunged over from dummy half.

Tyrer made it five goals from five to put 26 points between the sides, before the Rams bombed a chance to get off the mark after Sykes had grubbered through.

Tyrer recovered possession after the two Rams chasers, Kyle Trout and Luke Hooley, had looked certain to win the race.

That proved to be Dewsbury’s final opportunity and they ended a disappointing afternoon without scoring a point.

Halifax: Chapman-Smith, Sharp, Tyrer, Saltonstall, Robinson, Murrell, Johnston, Fleming, Kaye, Fairbank, Larroyer, Grady, Barber. Subs: Kavanagh, Morris, Moore, Cooper.

Rams: Hooley, Worrincy, Walshaw, Ryder, Morton, Sykes, Finn, Annakin, Day, Garratt, O Trout, Kibula, K Troiut. Subs: Ward, Knowles, Igbinedion, Mustapha.

Referee: Jack Smith

Attendance: 1,343

Photography credit: Freelance photographer Simon Hall