Dewsbury Rams got off the mark in the Betfred Championship this weekend with a win over the Swinton Lions.

After a defeat against York in their first game, Lee Greenwood’s men were eager to get right back at it and get the first win of the season under their belts. This means the Rams are in 10th position in the league table, and on two points after two fixtures.

The Rams took the lead in the 3rd minute when Tom Garratt finished off a well worked move down the centre of the field. Garratt bulldozed his way across the line and planted the ball down to score. Paul Sykes as ever was on hand to convert the kick to add the extra two points, meaning the Rams went 6-0 up.

It took just six more minutes for the Rams to extend that lead, this time Sykes scored the try as he rolled back the years with a terrific run and dive over the line, shrugging a few tackles off along the way. He then went and kicked for the two extra points making the score 12-0.

The visitors got their first score on the board three minutes later when Rob Fairclough dived over the whitewash. Harry Smith was taking the kicks for Swinton and duly put the ball between the posts to make the score 12-6.

The score didn’t change again until the 30th minute when Tom Garratt again got across the line to extend Dewsbury’s lead. Sykes again on point, added the two points with a super kick to make the score Dewsbury 18-6 Swinton.

The visitors hit back though just three minutes later when Kyle Shelford found a gap in the Rams defence to score near to the left corner. Smith this time missed his conversion meaning the tally stood at 18-10 to Dewsbury.

Swinton closed the gap early on in the second half, Rhodri Lloyd scored in the left corner with a simple move and try. Smith again missed his conversion attempt, leaving the visitors four points short of Dewsbury’s tally.

The Rams again took control of the game, they scored a successful penalty attempt kicked over by Sykes on the 50th minutes. That was followed up two minutes later by a try from Robbie Ward, some brilliant offloads meant Ward was able to steal a few yards of space which was enough room to score a good try. Once again Sykes converted his kick, which meant the score now stood at 26-14 to Dewsbury.

On the 64th minute came a trademark try from Rob Worrincy, a full length pitch run from the winger which was finished off in style. Sykes kicked through the posts to add the extra points which extended Dewsbury’s lead.

The Rams at this point were on top and they scored another try on the 70th minute mark when Owen Harrison twisted his way through some strong Swinton tackles, he flopped over the whitewash and slammed the ball down to score. Sykes made the conversion look easy and that was the last score from the Rams. Dewsbury at this point lead 38-14.

The visitors wanted to make the ending to the game as uncomfortable for the Rams as possible and scored two tries in the final ten minutes, the first coming from Lewis Hatton and the second from Michael Butt. Smith did convert his first kick attempt on the 74th minute but missed the conversion for the try that Butt scored. That brought an end to the scoring, meaning the Rams took home the two points.

Credit- Photo taken by Craig Hawkhead