Dewsbury Rams were knocked out of the Yorkshire Cup on Saturday by Bradford Bulls. The two sides met in the semi-final and it was Bradford who came out on top, winning 20-18 in a tight fixture.

It was the home side who came out of the traps the quickest. Elliott Minchella scored the first try of the game in the first five minutes. Joe Keyes converted the kick to add the points, which meant the home side took an early 6-0 lead.

The Rams began to get into the game and although the Bulls went close on a few occasions, Dewsbury’s defence stayed strong. As well as the defence staying strong, the Rams attack shifted into another gear, putting the Bulls on the back foot.

Michael Knowles came close in the 17th minute to scoring, however a forward pass earlier in the move meant play was brought back.

After various close attempts Dewsbury finally broke the Bulls defence in the 35th minute. Adam Ryder threw off a couple of tackles and charged down the pitch, a quick pass to captain Paul Sykes meant he had clear room to go onto to score an outstanding try. Sykes also kicked the conversion to draw the two sides level.

The Rams weren’t done yet, Sykes again involved in the move leading to a try, he put a tricky grubber kick through the Bulls defence which Lewis Heckford leaped onto to score. Sykes again kicked for the extra’s right on the hooter and that put Dewsbury 12-6 up going into the break.

The Rams started OK in the second half, but it was Bradford who got on the score sheet next. Rhys Evans crossed the line after finding a gap in the Rams defence. Rowan Milnes successfully converted for the extra two points to make the score 12-12 on the 46th minute.

Just four minutes later the home side took the lead. Minchella again finding a gap in the Rams defence to score. Milnes converted the kick putting the score at 18-12 to Bradford.

Although Sykes was sin-binned on the 55th minute for what was deemed a dangerous challenge. The Rams defence held strong and didn’t concede a point whilst down a man.

Dewsbury scored their next try on the 64th minute. Jacob Thomas put in a fantastic kick which Owen Harrison managed to catch and place down for a try. With Sykes off the field, Dale Morton stepped up and successfully converted the kick to add the extra two points.

The Bulls won a penalty just a few moments later, Milnes managed to kick through the posts. That was the final points scored of the game, leaving the score at 20-18 to Bradford.

The Rams fought hard to come back but it was the Bulls who progress to the Yorkshire Cup final.