Dewsbury Rams rounded off their 2018 campaign with a huge 52-6 victory on Sunday afternoon at the Tetley’s Stadium.

The Rams were up against only 13 players from Leigh as the visitors could not muster a full 17 man team for the match.

Dewsbury had secured their Championship status for another season a few weeks ago, however this final day victory was special due to it being head coach Neil Kelly’s final game game in charge.

The game started very evenly with both sides trying to break their opponent down and looking to make the breakthrough in terms of scoring. It was the home side who struck first.

Aaron Brown found a gap in the Leigh defence to slip through, he then dived over the line to score, it would be his first try of the afternoon. As usual captain Paul Sykes was on hand to convert for the extra two points.

Brown got on the score sheet just six minutes later, he broke away from the Leigh defence and used his pace to go on and score a superb try. Sykes made it 12-0 to the Rams after again kicking the conversion.

Dewsbury grabbed a third try on the 31st minute when Paul Sykes rolled back the years with an outstanding try. Having sprung a quick attack, Sykes faked two passes before going over the whitewash to score. He then stepped up to complete the points tally when he successfully converted the kick after his try.

Rams fans were in dreamland just two minutes later when Josh Guzdek got himself on the score sheet. Again another good move from the home team ended with Guzdek successfully getting over the line to score the Rams fourth try of the day. Sykes again managed to make the kick to make the score 24-0 to Dewsbury.

Sykes would be able to extend that lead just before the interval, with Leigh giving away a penalty in front of the posts, Sykes decided to kick for the two points. He put the ball straight through the posts to put the score at half time Dewsbury Rams 26-0 Leigh Centurions.

It took the Rams one minute into the second half to score their first try of the second period. Guzdek went over for his second try of the day, he picked up Sykes superb kick through and then went on to score. Sykes started the second half as he finished the first by converting the kick to add the extra points.

It was James Glover who got Dewsbury’s next try of the day, he forced his way over the line by pushing his way through the Leigh defence. Sykes missed his first kick of the afternoon leaving the score at 36-0 to the Rams.

The Rams were starting to build a commanding lead, and that was added to on the 46th minute when Adam Ryder bulldozed his way through the Leigh defence. Sykes this time made the kick to put the score at 42-0 to the home team.

Rams fans had to wait a whole five minutes later until their next try was put up on the board. Rob Worrincy strode past the Leigh defence with ease to score an acrobatic try by doing a forward role as he scored it. Sykes missed the kick this time putting the tally at Dewsbury Rams 46-0 Leigh Centurions.

Leigh were now down to 12 men by this stage and the visitors did manage to get themselves on the score sheet. Jamie Acton going over the whitewash for Leigh’s only try of the game. Jack Owens was on kicking duty for the Centurions and he converted the kick to add the extra two points. The score now stood at Dewsbury Rams 46-6 Leigh Centurions.

Dewsbury got back to scoring on the 74th minute when Daniel Igbinedion slid through a gap in the Leigh back line to score. Sykes converted the try making the score 52-6 to the Rams.

That is how the game finished, and the Rams went out of the 2018 season with a win.

Credit- Photography- Peter Smith