Dewsbury Rams were close to a second half comeback, but ended up losing the game 29-28 away at Swinton Lions on Sunday afternoon.

The day started well for the Rams, who scored two quick tries to get them off the mark, Aaron Brown scored the first on the fourth minute. Dewsbury created a superb move which ended up on the left hand side, Brown danced around two Swinton players and planted the ball over the line. Paul Sykes misses his conversion kick, and the ball rebounded off of the post, the score stood at 4-0 to Dewsbury.

The second of the two quick fire tries was scored by Lucas Walsahaw on the seventh minute, Walshaw smashed through the Lions defence with ease and touched the ball over the whitewash to score. Sykes made sure his kick went over this time to put the two extra points on the scoreboard, the score now stood at 10-0 to Dewsbury.

Swinton looked in shock, however they scored their first try on the 13th minute when George Tyson found a gap in the Rams defence to score. Chris Hankinson was doing the kicking for Swinton on the day, he converted his kick to put the score at 10-6 to the Rams.

Dewsbury extended their lead just three minutes later when Dale Morton shimmied over the whitewash to score, another good move from the Rams ended with Morton diving over the line. Sykes added the extra two points, to make the score Swinton 6-16 Dewsbury.

It was Swinton’s Gabriel Fell who scored the next try, he ghosted through the Rams defence to score. Hankinson this time missed his conversion, making the score 10-16 to Dewsbury.

Daniel Igbinedion was sin-binned on the 48th minute, and the first try of the second half was scored on the 50th minute, it was Swinton who scored it. It was Josh Ganson who put the ball over the line, Hankinson added the extra two points by successfully converting his kick, making the score 16-16.

The Lions scored again just five minutes later and went into the lead for the first time in the game. Rhodri Lloyd went over the line to score, and Hankinson converted his kick to put the game at 22-16 to the Lions.

Swinton extended their lead a minute later when Goerge Tyson bundled over the line for his second of the day. Hankinson again converted his kick to make the score Swinton 28-16 Dewsbury. Hankinson added to the Lions tally on the 60th minute when he scored a drop goal.

The Rams then started to fight back, Gareth Potts scored on the 64th minute, Sykes unfortunately couldn’t convert his kick to add the extra’s, the score now stood at 29-20 to Swinton.

Dewsbury scored again on the 68th minute when Daniel Igbinedion dived over the line to score, Sykes again couldn’t convert the extra’s making the score 29-24 to Swinton.

The Rams by this point were really pilling on the pressure and Dale Morton scored on the 72nd minute to score his second of the day. Sykes couldn’t convert the extra’s and that brought the scoring to an end.

The full time score ended 29-28 to Swinton.

Dewsbury’s next home game is against Barrow Raiders next Sunday, which is a 3pm kick off.